Now that I’ve shared my cookout appetizers, it’s time to get to the main course, starting with the sides. Instead of the usual pasta and potato salads you find at most summer cookouts, I decided we needed some lighter fare. And nothing beats the heat like a cool Caprese salad.
This salad is simple and elegant and won’t weigh you down when it’s time to change into your bikini! All you need are three INGREDIENTS plus salt, pepper and olive oil:
– Fresh tomatoes (I chose vine-ripe heirloom tomatoes because they were on sale at the grocery store and looked especially ripe and ready for eating)
– Fresh whole-milk Mozzarella
– Fresh basil
Notice a pattern? In order for the Caprese salad to meet its deliciousness potential, you MUST use fresh ingredients. There is nothing worse than a wilty salad.
TIP: I chilled my salad in the fridge for about an hour before serving so the vegetables and cheese didn’t immediately melt in the heat.
- Fresh tomatoes (I chose vine-ripe heirloom tomatoes because they were on sale at the grocery store and looked especially ripe and ready for eating)
- Fresh whole-milk Mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Cut the tomatoes and Mozzarella into round slices. Alternate tomato slice, Mozzarella slice, and basil leaf on a plate. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon of olive oil. And you're done. It's such a fantastic-looking salad arrangement that my guests started plucking tomatoes and Mozzarella slices off the plate before I even got the rest of the food to the table!